HIPAA compliance isn’t new, but still necessary.
The healthcare industry is the top target of cyber crime. HIPAA compliance standards are focused on the privacy of patients and their information. Why is healthcare the top target?
- An average medical record is worth $350 on the black market in comparison to 50 cents for a credit card.
- Most healthcare entities are not following basic security hygiene outlined by HIPAA regulations.
ALERT: COVERED ENTITIES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR BUSINESS ASSOCIATE COMPLIANCE
While a business associate must agree to comply with HIPAA Rules and is responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of PHI in its possession, it is the responsibility of a covered entity to ensure that all business associates are complying with HIPAA Rules. If a business associate fails to comply with HIPAA Rules, it is the responsibility of the covered entity to take action to ensure noncompliance is corrected or the contract with the business associate is terminated. We offer vendor/business associate HIPAA compliance tracking. Contact us to learn more.
Non HIPAA compliance is costly and could lead to criminal charges.
To date, the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) has settled or imposed a civil money penalty for a total dollar amount of $102,681,582. OCR has investigated complaints against many different types of entities including: national pharmacy chains, major medical centers, group health plans, hospital chains, and small provider offices.
- The minimum fine for willful violations of HIPAA Rules is $50,000.
- The maximum criminal penalty for a HIPAA violation by an individual is $250,000.
- Restitution may also need to be paid to the victims which could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- In addition to the financial penalty, a jail term is likely for a criminal violation of HIPAA Rules
No matter your needs, we have products to help. From holistic coverage or elements to fill your gaps, we’ve got you covered.
To make lasting change, we need to stop viewing HIPAA compliance as a box to be checked off. The oath to “do no harm” has to expand beyond physical safety and include patient privacy as well. If you take care of their physical body, but allow their digital identity to be compromised, harm is still done.
CyberCompass is an automated solution that make HIPAA compliance simple and affordable. For less than 1/3 of the cost of a full time employee, you can build cyber resilience that protects your entire business ecosystem.
- Save time and money with our easy to assign risk assessment survey
- A prioritizes risk report lets you decide which vulnerabilities to tackle first and plan your budget accordingly
- Get step-by-step guidance for how to correct issues
- Save all documentation in an encrypted online vault, making you audit ready
- Complete required training with our HIPAA Officer and staff training
- Monitor your compliance for 12 months with dashboards and reporting